Labouré College was founded by the Daughters of Charity of St. Vincent DePaul in 1892 as the Carney Hospital Training School for Nurses, and in 1951, merged with two other schools, St. John’s Hospital School of Nursing, and St. Margaret’s Hospital School of Nursing to form the Catherine Labouré School of Nursing, the first independent, regional, diploma program for nurses In New England.
The small, Catholic, non-residential college affiliated with Steward Health Care, is located in the Boston suburb of Dorchester, where it moved in 1954. Responding to changing needs in the healthcare industry, the school changed its name to Labouré Junior College in 1971, and began offering associate degrees in allied health as well, adding dietetic technology in 1972, and over the next nine years, EEG Technology, respiratory therapy, medical record technology and radiation therapy technology. In 1984, the school again changed its name, this time to Labouré College. In 2008, the school expanded again, adding a bachelor of science in Nursing, granting its first BSN degrees in June of 2011.
From its humble beginnings, Labouré College has grown to offer six degree programs and six certificate programs to students from all walks of life. Ninety-three percent of our students attend classes part-time, and 90 percent hail from the Greater Boston area. Students gain vital clinical skills in hospitals within the Steward® system, as well as within several academic medical centers and teaching hospitals in the Greater Boston area.
Labouré College is governed by a Board of Directors, with approximately 74 faculty members and more than 40 staff, offering classes in both traditional, in-person and online settings. As we enter 2012, Labouré continues to look for new and innovative ways to educate our students as we work to improve our technology and facilities. History shows that as health care grows and changes, we will change with it to educate the next generation of health care workers in Boston and beyond.